Insomnia is a frustrating issue that can have a knock on effect on your health and daily life. Feeling groggy and tired all day can make working and enjoying life impossible. You don’t have to resort to prescription medications with these herbal and natural treatments for insomnia.
The Insomnia Problem
Does it really matter if you can’t get to sleep? Scientists have spent years researching insomnia and have concluded that insomnia, particularly when it is chronic, is a major problem. You might be at risk from a whole host of other problems such as:
- Depression (Insomnia can also be a symptom of mood disorders)
- Impaired cognitive function (particularly decision making)
- Cardiovascular disease (high blood pressure, heart disease)
- Stress related disorders
- Reduced immune health
Insomnia might also be masking a case of sleep apnea, which can be potentially fatal. It is clear that picking a treatment for insomnia is more important than ever if you want to regain your health.
Why Pick Natural Treatments for Insomnia?
Some people don’t like taking prescription medications like benzodiazipines because they leave a bad taste in your mouth the next day and can leave you feeling groggy and sleepy well into the day. So they choose a natural treatment for insomnia that contains certain herbs that are known to encourage restful sleep.
There are also lifestyle changes you can make in order to cure insomnia. If the issue is chronic, it might be wise to visit a doctor for advice as well as trying some of the remedies described below.
You can use natural treatments for insomnia, from herbal teas to supplements you can buy online. Some people prefer these herbal remedies because they can gently bring on restful sleep.
Some herbs that are known for helping people get to sleep and stay asleep are:
- Chamomile – This is a calming herb that helps you get off to sleep by reducing your stress and anxiety levels. Camomile tea is readily available in most food stores and is easy and quick to make. The flavor is considered unpleasant by some, it is an acquired taste.
- Valerian Root – This is a natural sleep inducing herb that also comes in tea form, but again is considered to be unpleasant to drink. It also comes in some sleep aid pills such as melatrol.
- Lemon Balm – If you like the taste of lemons it might be an idea to drink lemon balm tea. If you drink this before bed it might help you to drift off. It often comes mixed with chamomile tea.
You can also naturally treat insomnia by making a few changes to your day to day life. Such as:
- Exercise as often as possible to use up energy and tire yourself out at the end of each day.
- Cut down caffeine, it is well known that too much caffeine can keep you awake at night.
- Quit Smoking – Research has found that people who smoke have more problems with insomnia.
- Cut back on sugar, artificial colors, preservatives, and artificial flavors. These can cause you to be mentally alert when you should naturally be winding down at night.
Melatrol is a natural insomnia cure that works even for chronic cases because it contains a carefully chosen selection of natural sleep inducing ingredients. It works to keep you asleep as well, unlike herbal teas.